Friday 17 January 2014

Weclome!

Hell everyone, this is a new project I will be working on for quite a while. This is going to be an analysis through story telling of the Song of Ice and Fire series. This will be a chapter by chapter analysis of the books attempting to learn, through the characters eyes just how the world of A Song of Ice and Fire works.

From Westeros to Essos, the Iron Islands to Dorne, I intend to see the world through the eyes of its characters and examine the social, cultural, military, and political attributes of the world George R. R. Martin has made.

That said I'm not a mega fan of the series but I am an avid admirer of how it is fleshed out and how the reader slowly pieces together the dark fantasy kingdom and its all too often unpleasant realities. How the characters within are shaped, molded, and react to this world and their circumstances is fascinating! I think its a world which bears in depth study and analysis simply because this is a series which will be one of the rocks of the fantasy genre for generations to come and as it stands now we have an awesome opportunity to pick it apart and speculate as its being made.

That being said I'll try and stay away from long term plot speculation as much as possible (except where necessary like when dealing with characters such as Varys or Littlefinger). However, I also intend to review solely the books and the other written media surrounding it so I won't be commenting on the television series except where I think it could be necessary.

In the meantime though I hope people who like the series (or even people too lazy to read the series and just wanting in on the secrets it offers) will enjoy this analysis/critique of the books as a whole and be able to have fun reading it with me.

While primarily concerned with the plot analysis I will occasionally break format and do a small aside on certain details specific to the world itself. These will be my own little musings on the goings on in Westeros and how we can compare them to things from our own world.

I'll be attempting to do one chapter a week for this blog and it will be updating on either Saturday or Sunday, I may occasionally get in more than one chapter but I hope to just chug along at a leisurely pace until I've reached the end of A Dance with Dragons (and hopefully the Winds of Winter if it comes out in the near future).

Well here's to you readers! Let's sit back and have some dark fantasy fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment